Old (and New) Views around Santon Downham
All Images are Zoomable. Click once to Zoom. Click again to close
View of the shop in the 1950's. Little has changed except it's no longer a Post Office and the telephone box is long gone.
An old ariel view of the village. Note the through road by the houses which is now a dead end and the now demolished old village hall/club.
Believed to be the image of a Postcard offered for sale on Ebay. This image showed up on a Brandon forum with an entry about Downham Hall.
Garden Cottage where Mr and Mrs Leech lived. (Photo provided by their great granddaughter Jo Greenwood)
Col & Mrs Mackenzie on their Golden Wedding in 1915
|Railway Gate House
Labled as Gateman Bungalow which presumably refered to the man/woman who used to open the Level Crossing gates.
South side of St Mary's in the 1950s
|The Avenue (now)|
|The Avenue (then)
This like many photographs in those days was a postcard and named as Downham Church.
This confirms an earlier photograph that the Tower was covered in ivy. However, this photograph shows what looks like a notice board situated on the right of the door and a pathway probably running the length of the church. Could the main entrance have been the door shown?
Photograph is courtesy of Ron Marsh